Here are some flashcards for studying kanji. They are designed to printed double sided on relatively thick A4 paper. The flashcards use colors, but if you only have a black and white printer, you could either print them anyway or open the
odg files and modify the styles. You can read
odg files with the free LibreOffice (or other software).
Here are the flashcards sorted by elementary school grade level. In Japanese, this collection is called the kyōiku kanji. Below that are cards for the JLPT.
|1st grade||80 kanji||odg||odg|
|2nd grade||160 kanji||odg||odg|
|3rd grade||200 kanji||odg||odg|
|4th grade||200 kanji||odg||odg|
|5th grade||185 kanji||odg||odg|
|6th grade||181 kanji||odg||odg|
|JLPT N5||103 kanji||odg||odg|
|JLPT N4||103 kanji||odg||odg|
|JLPT N3||Sorry, set does not exist.|
|JLPT N2||103 kanji||odg||odg|
|JLPT N1||103 kanji||odg||odg|
Regarding the JLPT N3, these flashcards rely on KANJIDIC2, and that file does not reflect 2010 JLPT changes. I think there is no official list for new JLPT. Here N2 and N3 kanji are combined into the N2 set. If you're testing for N3, consider using 3rd and 4th grade cards from the above list — those are something close to the N3 kanji.
The front of each flashcard has the following information.
- The kanji itself, in a big font.
- The grade level, in the lower left corner.
- The stroke count, in the lower right corner.
The back of each flashcard has the following information, from top to bottom.
- An English word matching the meaning of the kanji as closely as possible.
- The kanji definition. Omitted if the same as the above English word.
- Onyomi, in katakana. Zero or more may exist.
- Kunyomi, in hiragana. Zero or more may exist.
- Example words using the kanji, along with their definitions.
I think the above cards are useful as they are, but if you're interested in making your own, it is possible. My ruby script gets the relevant kanji from
KANJIDIC2, frequently used words from
wordfreq_ck.txt, and word definitions from
EDICT. KANJIDIC2, and EDICT are Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike licensed.